There’s no shortage of equipment out there. With Freeze Frame, we’re going for “useful” too. This month, Lindsay Soderberg tells us about a few of her favorite things for the western pleasure ring. Although this Alberta native has only been training professionally for three years, her accomplishments have really been racking up with a National Snaffle Bit Association World championship and two Congress championships already to her credit.
By Jenn Webster
– My headstall, reins and saddle are both by Blue Ribbon Custom Tack, out of Phoenix, AZ. My saddle has a Dowdy tree, with Entz tooling, a custom silver package and a black seat.
– The chinstrap on this headstall is a half-inch flat curb chain.
– My hat is from Shorty’s Hattery in Oklahoma City, OK. It is just a western pleasure style, traditional hat in black.
– My chaps are from Hobby Horse. I’ve been wearing them for 16 years now! They are black, fringed ultrasuede. The ultrasuede means they are cooler than leather and can be machine washed.
– The mare I am riding, “Gina” is wearing a small correctional bit on the headstall, also made by Blue RIbbon.
– Gina is sporting a leather-top tail from Broomtails by Val. The unique attachment used in this tail extension ensures the tail hangs naturally and doesn’t appear “fake.”
– My jacket is made of white leather and one I designed myself! I don’t have much time for sewing because I’m so busy riding, but I usually take my ideas to a seamstress and have her sew them up. This jacket sports lots of rhinestones and big square crystals. I always want clothing designs that are complimentary to my horses. I have designed two other outfits for my customers in the past year – it’s something I like to do in my free time.
– My boots are Rios of Mercedes.
– My spurs are custom-made by Tom Balding, with my name on them.