2 cups chocolate chips (or dark chocolate shavings)
2 cups white chocolate chips (or white chocolate
3/4 cup crushed candy canes
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1. To crush the candy canes, unwrap and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse on/off several times for 5-10 seconds each, until the canes have been crushed into small pieces. Alternately, place the candy canes in a large Ziploc bag and seal tightly. Use a rolling pin to roll/smash the candy canes until they are the size you desire.
2. Cover a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave at low heat, or place in a double-boiler over boiling water. Stir in peppermint extract. Pour the chocolate onto the prepared cookie sheet and use an offset spatula or knife to spread it to an even thickness, a little more than 1/8\” thick. The chocolate does not have to reach all sides of the sheet, as it will be broken up later anyhow. Place the tray in the refrigerator to firm up while you prepare the white chocolate.
4. While the dark chocolate hardens, melt the white chocolate using the same process. Stir in 1/2 cup of the crushed peppermint, reserving 1/4 cup for the top.
5. Remove the dark chocolate from the refrigerator and spread the white chocolate in an even layer over the dark chocolate.
6. While the white chocolate is still soft, quickly sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces over the entire surface evenly. Press down very slightly to ensure they stick. Place the tray back in the refrigerator to firm up for one hour.
7. Once the peppermint bark is completely set, break into small, uneven pieces by hand.