The National Reining Horse Association (NRHA) has just released their newest addition to the elite group of Four Million Dollar Sires, is Colonels Smoking Gun, (also known as Gunner). As mentioned in their press release, the Hall of Fame inductee, Gunner (AQHA Colonels Smoking Gun, APHA Colonels Smokingun) has soared from NRHA Three to Four Million Dollar Sire status in less than a year due to the overwhelming success of his progeny. As of September 12, 2012, the NRHA records document Gunner’s official offspring NRHA Lifetime Earnings are $4,009,637.
According to the NRHA Gunner, was bred by Eric Storey, Henagar, Ala., and is the top NRHA earning offspring of Colonelfourfreckle (Colonel Freckels x Miss Solano). The outstanding 1993 stallion is out of the mare Katie Gun, who\’s offspring have earned more than $510,000 in NRHA earnings. McQuay Stables, Inc. (NRHA Two Million Dollar Rider and One Million Dollar Owner Tim McQuay and wife Colleen) currently owns and stands the stallion in Tioga, Tex. Gunner earned nearly $175,000 in his career and was inducted into the NRHA Hall of Fame in 2003 in recognition of his contributions to the sport of Reining. His accolades include:
– 1996 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Reserve Champion ridden by Clint Haverty
– 1997 NRHA Derby Level 4 Non Pro finalist ridden by Kim Sloan
– 1998 NRBC Level 4 Open Reserve Champion ridden by Clint Haverty
– 1998 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open finalist ridden by Clint Haverty
– 2001 USET Festival Of Champions National Reining Champion ridden by Bryant Pace
– In 2002, Gunner was immortalized as a Breyer Horse for the USET Special Edition model.
“We are lucky to have Gunner as part of our family at McQuay Stables and naturally are thrilled at his rapid growth in earnings. Our sincere thanks to all the owners and trainers that support him,” said Tim and Colleen McQuay stated to the NRHA after learning of this achievement.