Broccoli Salad is a wonderful thing. It\’s a perfect side dish to a hearty winter meal, and a meal in itself on a warm day. I used to think it was such a difficult salad to make – until I realized it was really a breeze, as long as I had the correct fresh ingredients in my fridge.
BROCCOLI SALAD – INGREDIENTS:
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2.5 mls of crushed garlic (or 1 clove of garlic, finely diced)
• 1 pound fresh broccoli, sliced into small 1/2\” florets
• 2 cups red seedless grapes
• 1/3 of a large cucumber, cut into small chunks
• 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
• 5 pieces of cooked bacon, broken up into bits
I usually combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic and olive oil together in a small food processor. Mix well until it becomes a creamy dressing.
Get your broccoli ready in your salad serving bowl:
Add in the halved grapes:
Add in the cucumber chunks:
At this point, I usually like to add in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the dressing:
Stir well to coat your veggies and grapes with the dressing. Stir in the sunflower seeds:
Then I like to add in the bacon bits, reserving a small handful for sprinkling over the top. If more dressing is required to coat the salad, I will add the remainder in now too.
Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This salad is a perfect side to nearly any sandwich, making it a fabulous horse show food and the longer it sits, the the veggies and grapes will have a chance to marinate in the dressing. Enjoy!